Happy Birthday Marco!
This weekend we are away with the group of volleyball players we had our first years with at college. I can’t wait to see everyone! So I figured I would write Marco’s birthday post early.
Marco is especially excited to see everyone cause he turns 25 on Sunday! (Yes for those of you counting I am 13 months older…I always tell Marco is is so lucky to have married an older woman :)
Now between me and Marco there is this ongoing joke that I don’t really know a whole lot about him. He tells me things…and I think I just forget :S For example last year for Valentine’s Day I bought him a HUGE bag of cinnamon hearts because they are his favourite. Apparently not! Infact he doesn’t like them at all! A similiar scenario has happened SO often that it is now a joke between us. So when getting ready to make his birthday cake this year I wanted to make sure I was ACTUALLY making his favourite….
I knew chocolate was out the window….same with anything cinnamon heart related. Finally I came across a “Cookies and Cream Cake” which is his favourite chocolate bar…or so I thought. I had to phone him at work to make sure he ACTUALLY liked Cookies and Cream. Well he did! So all afternoon Luca and I worked on making his cake to take with us this weekend!
It is So so so SO hard to not sneak a piece of this cake!! It even smells amazing!
The most important ingredient is of course Oreos….man it was hard to not eat my way through the bag as I was baking!
I even had to sample the cake batter….it tasted AMAZING!!!
Luca was being so good watching me in his highchair, so I let him try his first ever Oreo….I guess he’s a fan :)
The finished product! :)
It’s drizzled with white chocolate (don’t worry he does like white chocolate…just not regular chocolate…I checked! :) And the grey-ish icing in the middle is vanilla butter icing with crushed up Oreo cookies mixed in…mmmmmmmmmmmmm. oh and I sampled the icing too :)
Now I just have to figure out how to get it to Sunpeaks!
Happy Birthday Marco! I hope you like your cake! I hope you have a fantastic weekend with all your closest friends. Me and Luca love you so so so SO much and can’t imagine our lives without you. You are the best person in our lives, and I would be lost without you. Thank you, THANK YOU, Thank you for just being you and for loving me.
** A few people ask that I add the recipe to Marcos delicious birthday cake! Here it is!
Cookies and Cream Cake
1 package white cake mix without pudding in the mix
1 package white chocolate flavour instant pudding mix
1 cup vegetable oil
4 egg whites
1/2 cup milk
20 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped
1 cup icing sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tbsp milk
10-12 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped
Cake Topping ingredients
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1 tsp shortening
8 Oreo Cookies for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line the bottom of two 9inch round pans with parchment paper.
2. Beat egg mix, pudding mix, oil, egg whites, and milk in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed, until well blended. Stir in chopped Oreo’s and divide batter equally between two prepared pans.
3. Bake 28-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completley before removing.
4. Icing – mix butter, icing sugar, vanilla and milk together. Beat with electric mixer until smooth. Stir in cookie chunks until well blended. Place one cooled cake on cake plate. Spread entire batch of icing on top of cake. Place 2nd cooled cake ontop.
5. Topping – melt chocolate chips and shortening together in glass dish in microwave for 30-40 seconds. Stir to combine. Drizzle over top of cake, and top with Oreo chunks to garnish.
ENJOY! It was delish! :)